This year’s Renew Our Rivers cleanup of Lake Martin shoreline and surrounding roadways has been set for Nov. 1 and 2, announced Lake Martin Resource Association President John Thompson, who coordinates the annual ROR effort.
LMRA, Alabama Power Company, Russell Lands On Lake Martin, Advanced Disposal, Wind Creek State Park, Lake Martin Dock Company and TowBoatUS Lake Martin once again will sponsor the cleanup. Last year, more than 450 volunteers collected nearly 20 tons of trash, including a large number of automotive tires, from the lake’s shoreline and adjacent roadways. More than 100 tons of trash has been removed from the lake area since the annual event began in 2005.
This year, the effort also will be made to get neighborhoods involved throughout the Lake Martin community.
- Volunteers will be encouraged to work independently with their cleanup efforts and deliver the bagged trash to dumpsters located around the lake at the Kowaliga public boat ramp, Wind Creek State Park Marina, Union public boat ramp and Real Island Marina.
- If transporting the bagged trash proves to be difficult for a volunteer, arrangements can be made to have it picked up.
- Supplies will be available, and volunteers who deliver to the dumpsters bagged trash or items that have been retrieved from the shoreline of Lake Martin, adjacent roadsides or neighborhoods in the Lake Martin Community will receive a custom-designed T-shirt. The shirt will feature artwork from the ROR art contest held annually at Stephens Elementary School in Alexander City.
- Volunteers can pick up supplies at dumpster locations beginning at 8 a.m. on both Friday, Nov. 1, and Saturday, Nov. 2.
- On Friday, Russell Lands associates and other volunteers will meet at 7:45 a.m. at the Russell Lands corporate office to receive supplies and assignments.
- Trash can be deposited in the dumpsters between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. on both days of the cleanup.
- Volunteers in the Real Island area will have access to dumpsters located at Real Island Marina.
- Volunteers are encouraged to separate recyclables, which then will be accumulated and delivered to the Alexander City Recycling Center.
- On Saturday, Nov. 2, local youth groups will gather at Wind Creek State Park to remove litter throughout the park and surrounding roadsides. All volunteers will be treated to a hot dog cookout sponsored by Dirt Road Gourmet and Alabama Power Shoreline Management.
- LMRA volunteers will be available at the dumpster sites to assist with unloading boats or vehicles during the hours of the cleanup.
For more information, email Thompson at email@example.com.